Between the Google doodle and the trending hashtags #womensday and #IWD2013 on social media lies this blog post about a day dedicated to women. Happy International Women’s Day, Ladies!
Yes, I realize I’m celebrating a day early but people are already celebrating across the pond!
Some men would argue that everyday is women’s day and they would be half right, however don’t worry men you have your own day too. I digress. In some countries this is an official holiday where the original political and human rights theme designated by the United Nations runs strong in honor of women’s causes and achievements politically, economically and culturally. In Russia, for example, men are expected to give flowers to their wives, daughters, sisters and mothers as a way to show appreciation. It’s like Valentine’s Day goes on a date with Mother’s Day escalating to a steamy affair resulting in a Birthday. Soooo, Birthentiner’s Day?
This year’s U.N. theme is “A promise is a promise: time for action to end violence against women.”
Facts & Figures from http://www.un.org/en/events/womensday/
- Up to 50% of sexual assaults are committed against girls under the age of 16
- Globally, 603 million women live in countries where domestic violence is not yet considered a crime.
- Up to 70% of women in the world report having experienced physical and/or sexual violence at some point in their lifetime
- Over 60 million girls worldwide are child brides, married before the age of 18.
The International Women’s Day theme: The Gender Agenda: Gaining Momentum because a modern progressive world needs equality.
I couldn’t agree more!
Want to celebrate women’s day? There are over 204 events happening in the United States, many you can participate without leaving your couch!
Here are some of my favorites:
- Listen to the “One Woman” the official Women’s Day song and share it with your friends, I already have! You can even purchase the song and the proceeds go to UN Women and support the work to empower women and improve their lives worldwide.
- [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnq2QeCvwpw&w=560&h=315]
- Donate to your favorite women/girls cause
- Send a card to a friend, mother or sister or any woman that inspires you!
- Get informed by watching today’s episode of the Katie Couric Show where she uncovers the challenges facing modern women.
- Rock your stilettos and share what it’s like to walk in your shoes.
- Upload what you’re doing to celebrate women’s day on flickr!